A foreign national who wishes to visit the U.S. is obliged to obtain a visa; either an immigrant visa for permanent residency or non-immigrant visa for temporary stay. Visitor Visas fall under the category of non-immigrant visas and are for the individuals who want to enter the U.S. temporarily either for business purpose (B-1 Visa) or for tourism, pleasure, visiting friends or relatives, medical care(B-2 Visa) or for the both purposes (B-1/ B-2).

B-1 Visa is for the purpose of:

  • Consulting with business associates
  • Attending an educational, scientific, professional, business convention or conference
  • Setting an estate
  • Negotiating a contract

Other than this, under U.S. immigration law:

  • Qualified personal or domestic employers may travel to the U.S. as business visitors or
  • A U.S. citizen employer who permanently lives outside the U.S. or is stationed in foreign country and is visiting or is assigned to the U.S. temporarily may be granted visitor visa

  • Or a foreign citizen employer in the U.S. who is on B,E,F,H,I,T,L,M,O,P or Q non-immigrant visa status, may be permitted visitor visa

B-2 Visitor Visas (For Pleasure, Tourism and Medical Treatment): When the purpose of visiting the U.S. is recreational in nature, the individual is obliged to apply for B-2 visitors visa. It includes visiting the U.S. for:

  • Tourism
  • Vacation
  • Visiting friends or relatives
  • Participating in social events hosted by social, fraternal or service organizations
  • Participation by amateurs in musical, sports or similar events or contests, if not receiving any remuneration

  • Enrolment in a short recreational course of study, but not for credit towards a degree (e.g.two days’ painting class while on vacation)

The presumption in the law is that every individual applying for visitor visa is an intending immigrant.So the applicants need to overcome this presumption by stating that:

  • The purpose of your visit to U.S. is business, pleasure or medical treatment
  • You plan to stay in the U.S. for the specific time period
  • You have a residence outside the U.S. and as well the other binding ties in your homeland, to ensure your return at the end of visit.

If your relative is sponsoring the Visitor Visa, he needs to send the following documents for the processing of your Visitor Visa:

  • A letter from the Bank/Banks (on their business letter head) stating his account summary
  • Account Verification Letter
  • Copy of his bank statements showing his prosperous financial health
  • A neat photocopy of his complete Passport, including even the blank pages
  • Copy of recent income tax returns
  • A completed and notarized Affidavit of Support Form I-134
  • If he is a Green Card Holder; copy of the Green Card and if he is a U.S. citizen; copy of citizenship certificate

  • A formal invitation letter addressed to you by the sponsor, also stating that he will be taking care of all your needs in the U.S. including tickets, boarding and other expenses

  • An application or letter to the U.S. consulate in India from the sponsor, requesting to issue Visitor Visa to the concerned person, stating that he will take care of your needs in the U.S. including tickets, boarding & other expenses.

Other than these, applicants need:

  • Completed non-immigration visa application form DS-156
  • Completed DS-157 form for all male non-immigrants between the age of 16 and 45
  • Passport valid to travel U.S. with a validity date; at least six months beyond the intended period of stay

Our diligent team of experts at Abroad Today will help you to decide which visa will suit your purpose of travel and help you with the documentations needed for the visa type. Use Abroad Today’s extensively professional services and maximize your success rate.